Top-Ranked Boston College Meets Hockey Team Tonight

By John J. Iselin

Cooney Weiland's fast solidifying hockey team challenges Boston College's top Eastern ranking in its most important pre-Christmas contest tonight at the Boston Garden. Game time for the Crimson's first home game is 9 p.m.

Novice freshman coach John White's Yardling squad opens against the B.C. freshmen in the 7 p.m. preliminary.

Named the top team in the East at the hockey writer's luncheon yesterday, the sophomore-bolstered Eagles are favored to take their third straight tonight. Following B.C. in the standings yesterday were St. Lawrence, R.P.I., Dartmouth, then Harvard. The Crimson definitely needs a victory tonight to move up in NCAA consideration.

Weiland will start the same combination that walloped Providence, 10 to 1, Tuesday.

Sophomore Charlie Flynn again goes in the Crimson goal behind defensemen Ed Mrkonich and sophomore Pete Summers. Captain Normie Wood leads the first line with Dick Clasby on right wing and Jeb Bray on the left.

For Johnny Kelley's undefeated B.C. squad, it will be three equally strong lines, four good defensemen, and sophomore Charlie D'Entremont in the goal. The Eagles opened against the Providence Friars a week ago, 8 to 5, on a last period spurt and followed with a 6 to 0 shutout win over Northeastern Tuesday. The Eagles lead in the overall Harvard-B.C. series, 11 games to 5.

Third lines may make the difference tonight. Kelley credits his victory over Northeastern to his use of a five-man, two-platoon third line and the three resulting goals.

Welland, in turn, especially praised the work of third liners Frank Mahoney and Art Noyes, and three resulting goals against Providence.

Tickets for tonight's hockey game may be purchased at a special student rate in the HAA office under the Union. Regular second, balcony unreserved seats soil for $90, and $2 reserved seats for $1. A bursar's card is required.