Wrestlers Pin 2; Win Opener, 26-8

A Crimson varsity wrestling team with only one senior on the roster decisively defeated a Williams varsity with four sophomores, 26 to 8, in the season's opening match for both teams Saturday afternoon at the I.A.B.

Two hours earlier the freshman wresting team capitalized on its strong upper weights to hand Williams a 25 to 12 loss after four Yardling heavyweights pinned their opponents.

Except for two losses in the middle-weights it was the Crimson varsity all the way.

Don Fern at 123 began the varsity match by a close decision over Hank Lydon. He was followed by Dick Adams at 130, who made short work of Al Poole, pinning him after 2:40 minutes of the first period.

Burnaman Gains Decision

Sophomore Phil Burnaman at 137, up against the New Jersey schoolboy champ Ed Pitts, took advantage of his breaks and took the decision after three close periods.

Wrestling in his first intercollegiate match, Frank Baker lost a 1 to 0 decision to Bob Koster at 147. Lou Miller of Williams pinned Bob Little at 5:30 of the second period in the 157 pound class.

The only senior wrestling for the varsity, Crimson captain Chick Chandler, nearly pinned his 167 pound opponent Len Gemal, but won by default after the latter injured his knee in the third period.

Crimson junior Ken Culbert at 177 pinned Williams captain John Murphy after 30 seconds in the second period.

Rounding out the varsity upperweight sweep, sophomore Pete Morrison crushed Williams heavyweight Royce Redd so hard that he defaulted the match.

The decision was in the 137-pound class and the pins in the 130 and 147-pound divisions.