A Healthy Competition

Finally, the new Professor should not try to link the Brooks House closer to student religious groups around the Square. Students who choose the spend in PBH the time they could devote to church youth groups do so not necessarily because they are steeped in paganism, but because social service gives them more satisfaction than more sophisticated religious programs. Any fusing of activities would become divisive in the very process of compromise. If Square churches, Appleton Clubs, and Hillel Houses wish to draw student interest from PBH, they must offer a more attractive package. This perpetual choice not only shores up the student's traditional independence in religious matters; it forces each side to improve its programs. Such valuable competition should not be restrained.

We hope, then, that the committee will pick as leader of Brooks House a man who has both the determination and ideas that will maintain its secular nature.

Phillips Brooks House has thrived partly because members have not thought in terms of one another's religion. This is the way it should remain.