Arthur Miller Will Give Spencer Lecture Today

Despite a flurry of rumors to the contrary, Arthur Miller, author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning play "Death of a Salesman," will be here today to deliver the Theodore Spencer Memorial Lecture at 4:30 p.m. in Sanders Theatre.

A series of reports circulated in the University yesterday that Miller would not be coming. Rumor had him in both Hawaii and the Barbados. The confusion was cleared up last night by Theodore Morrison '23, lecturer on English, who said that Miller would definitely arrive by plane from New York shortly before the lecture.

Miller, whose new play, "The Crucible," recently opened in New York, will speak on "Contemporary Drama." The lecture is free and open to the public.

In addition to "The Crucible" and "Death of a Salesman," Miller is the author of "All My Sons," "Man Who Had All the Luck," "Situation Normal," and a novel, "Focus."

Besides the Pulitzer Prize, he has also received the New York Drama Circle Award twice, in 1947 for "All My Sons," and in 1949 for "Death of a Salesman."

Born in New York City in 1915, Miller graduated from the University of Michigan.

The Theodore Spencer Lecture was established in 1949 in honor of the late Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory here, who died in the midst of a distinguished career as poet, critic, and scholar.

Former Spencer lecturers include director Elia Kazan and poet and author T. S. Eliot '09.