Swimmers Given Edge Over Lions; Aim for 8th Win

The undefeated Crimson swimmers go South again this weekend to meet oft-defeated Columbia in the Morningside Heights Pool.

And although the Lion swimmers are a vastly improved lot, chances are strong that Hal Ulen's squad will win its eighth in a row.

Columbia has a goal--a .500 won-lost percentage. For the better part of the season, the Lions fought to keep their heads above this mark. They were dipped slightly below it by Army earlier in the week, and will probably lose sight of it completely after today's meet.

Presently, Columbia's record is 4-5. Two of the Lion's opponents--Pennsylvania and Army--also swam against the Crimson. The Lions, riding a winning streak, topped Penn by 52 to 32; the Crimson ran wild against the Quakers, 72 to 12. Last Wednesday, Army defeated Columbia, 51 to 33; several weeks back, the Crimson submerged the Cadets, 64 to 20.

The Lions also swam against Yale, and lost 62 to 22. But that's an unfair indication, since Yale does that to everybody.

Columbia has several individual performers who might make good showings. Lion Captain Dick Auwarter has won consistently in the 150-yard individual medley and in his specialty, the 200-yard back-stroke. Al Sacknoff does the 200 yard breast-stroke in under 2:30. Pete Martin records pretty fair times in the sprints and John Wuorinen in the long distance free-style events.

On the basis of comparative times, however, Ulen's squad has little to worry about.