Swimmers Handily Outpoint weak Brown Team, 61 to 23

Brown's Swimming captain, Don Cameron, was declared ineligible just before yesterday's meet with the Crimson, but it made little difference. The crimson swimmers had no trouble piling up a 61 to 23 victory, their third straight at Providence.

Cameron, star middle-distance swimmers, was ruled out along with 20 other Brown athletes, because of scholastic troubles.

But he couldn't have seriously affected the final outcome. His team-mates picked up three first places--one of them because a Crimson swimmer jumped the gun in the 400-yard freestyle relay--and no seconds.

Freshman Win, 63-21

The Crimson freshmen also won handily, 63 to 21--but they broke one record and tied another in doing so. A team of Ed Benton at the backstroke, Dave Hawkins at the breast-stroke, and Jim Jorgensen at the free-style tied the Harvard freshman record for the 300-yard medley relay with a time of 3:07.9 minutes.

Hawkins broke a 16-year freshman record for the 440-yard free-style, and he broke it by almost five seconds. His time of 4:59.6 eclipses the record of 5:04.4 minutes set in 1937 by Eric Cutler.

The Brown varsity picked up two of its victories in the sprints. Ralph Brisco won, the 50-yard free-style, with the varsity's John McNamara second and Crimson captain Ron Huebsch third. Bruin Brisco won the 100-yard sprints, with McNamara and Huebsch again second and third.

In the other free-style events, Dave Hedberg won the 220 with Ted Whatley second, and Dick Fouquet took the 440, Whatley again gaining second.

Don Mulvey won the backstorke. Ralph Zani captured the breast-stroke and, of course, Pete Dillingham won the dive.