19 Seniors to Run for Class Day Positions

Despite the fact that only 19 seniors field petitions for the 1953 Class Day Committee, the election will be run off next Tuesday and Wednesday Paul D. Sheats '54, president of the Student Council, said last night. This decision came after the Council conferred with the newly-elected Permanent Class Committee.

Presented for ratification along with the ballot, will be the Senior Class constitution.

Smallest Number in Recent Years

Richard B. Baumgartner '54, co-chairman of the elections committee, called this the "smallest total number of petitioners in recent memory." He added that the general lack of enthusiasm is "quite understandable" since "few seem to want to bother with all that work."

Sheats expressed no great surprise, saying that "we have to assume that this group is representative" of the whole class, since seniors were given enough opportunity to submit petitions.

When only eight men had responded by the original Saturday deadline, the Council extended the time limit for petitions to the ten-man committee till yesterday,

Chatfield Disappointed by Response

John S. Chatfield '55, co-chairman with Baumgartner, stated that the Council was "somewhat disappointed" in the small number of petitions but felt that this election was an understandable anti-climax to the "Enthusiastic and exciting Permanent Class Committee elections."

There is no fixed rule as to the minimum number of candidates to the Class Day board. Last year 29 seniors field petitions for the ten positions.