Swimmers Drop Lions, 64-20, to Lead League

An inoffensive Columbia Swimming team soaked up its worst beating of the season at the hands of the Crimson swimmers, 64 to 20, Saturday in New York.

For Hal Ulen's all-winning squad, it was victory number eight, and a tie with Yale for the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League lead. The EISL champion will be decided next Saturday when Bob Kiphuth brings his formidable Elis to the Indoor Athletic Building.

The win was also the 26th for the Crimson swimmers against two losses over the course of three years. The two losses needless to say--were inflicted by Yale.

The Lions picked up three first places--two of them registered by Captain Dick Auwarter--and not a single second.

Auwarter, Hedberg Win Two

Auwarter won the 200-yard backstroke--his specialty--finishing ahead of the Crimson's Eric Ueland and Worth Bingham. He also captured the 150-yard individual medley ahead of Al Rapperport and Charlie Egan in the comparatively slow time of 1:40.1 minutes.

The only other double-winner was the Crimson's Dave Hedberg--who has performed this feat every time this season he had appeared in two events. Hedberg won the 100-yard sprints in the respectable time of 52.5 seconds, ahead of Crimson Captain Ron Huebsch. In the 220-yard freestyle, Hedberg boat teammate Marv Sandler.

Columbia's Pete Martin scored a surprised victory in the 50-yard sprints, over John McNamara and Huebsch. His time was a slow 24.5 seconds. In the 440-yard freestyle Dick Fouquet registered an easy triumph, with Ted Whatley edging out Lion John Wuorinen.

The Crimson took both relay events with some to spare. Mulvey, Ken Emerson, and Bill Travis took the 300-yard medley relay in 3:03:2 minutes, while McNamara, Sandler, Jim Jones, and Rapperport outdistanced the Lions in the 400-yard freestyle.

In the 200-yard breaststroke, Ralph Zani and Emerson would up one-two ahead of Columbia ace Al Sacknoff. Pete Dfllingham scored a good 93.5 points to win the one-meter dive.