BLOOD ON THE ANCHOR

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I suppose it is useless to reply to your editorial of today and we might as well acknowledge the power of the pen vs. the sword or at any rate its strategic location. However, in the interests of keeping the record straight the following is submitted.

The Navy was asked by a representative of PBH to give a hand in the Blood Drive. It seemed only natural that as one of the services they would expect us to do so. If we had not, you really would have news--like MAN BITES DOG.

The proposal that the Navy excuse men donating blood from infantry drill was also made by the PBH representative and not by the Navy and we agreed to go along. As for wearing uniforms donors are authorized to wear uniforms but are not compelled to do so--no penalty is exacted against anyone who does not. Furthermore, all records in connection with the blood drive are kept by PBH workers and not by members of the NROTC staff. There never has been any record in the past and there never will be any record in the future in our files to show who did or did not give blood.

All in all we fail to see where we come in for criticism. We have done our duty to assist in furthering a praiseworthy community effort. We shall continue to do our duty to cooperate with PBH in any reasonable manner to make the Blood Drive a success. D. V. Gladding   Captain, U.S. Navy   Professor of Naval Science