University Police Chief Fired

Alvin G. Randall, Chief of the University Police since 1945, has been fired from his job for what was officially termed "administrative reasons," it was revealed yesterday.

Lt. Matthew J. Toohy, a member of the University Police Force since 1935, has been made temporary Chief. All indications are that Tooby will be made official head of the force within the next month.

According to University officials, Randall was removed from his job after inadequate performance during the fall and beginning of the spring term. One official traced "Randall's decline to an unfortunate back injury he received in a riot at the Medical School last year."

The 56 year old cashiered chief will receive terminal pay and have full pension rights, according to the University Personnel Office.

Randall first became a University employee in 1943 when he took over the position of chief-guard at the war-time research laboratory. Late in 1944, he was appointed to head the University's 30-man police force. Before coming to the University, he had served with the Boston Police Department.

Toohy, the new acting chief, worked at the College during the '30's in a watchman-policeman position and was promoted to Lieutenant rank in 1951. He is 50 years old.

The dismissal actually took place about two weeks ago, but the University made no official announcement.