Sextet Beats Princeton, 4-2; Faces Eli in Weekend Final

By John J. Iselin

The Crimson's resurging hockey team outplayed and outfought Princeton's once surging Tigers, 4 to 2, last night and sent them home still looking for the Pentagonal League championship.

A similar win over Yale this Saturday will put the sextet back into solid contention for the NCAA Colorado tournament, and may give Harvard a Pentagonal lead tie.

Goalie Blair Torrey played his usual brilliant game for the Tigers, but a constant barrage of Crimson shots and a first period rash of Princeton penalties were too much for him.

Torrey twice stopped Amory Hubbard coming in all alone, but it was only a matter of time. In the last period, Hubbard wound up on his own blue line, then skated the length of the ice to shove the puck past Torrey. Ten minutes later he took a pass from Captain Walt Greeley in front of the Tiger net and scored-again.

It might not have been a game at all if Tiger Captain Hank Bothfeld had followed his father and brother to Harvard. As it was, only the brilliant goal tending of Brad Richardson kept him from person- ally matching the Crimson's total. He sank the Tigers' second score at 11:22 of the final period to pull the Tigers within a goal of Harvard.

But then Hubbard came up with his second score to ice the game.

Princeton took only 11 seconds to go late the lead. Gene Cleaves took the opening face-off across the blue line and fired it past Richardson.

Ten minutes later, Captain Walt Greeley tied it up, and five minutes after that Ned Bliss put the Crimson ahead for good.

With a Tiger off the ice, Greeley was waiting all alone in front of the Tiger cage for Dick Clasby's pass to him, and he drove home number one.

Bliss took successive passes from Tony Patton and Doug Manchester before back-handing an ice skimmer into the lower right hand corner. Again, a Tiger was in the penalty box.

Both sextets doubled the number of their shots, but neither team could increase the 2 to 1 score in the second period.

Time and again, players had clean shots at the goalies, but time and again the goalies came through with sensational saves. Torrey stopped 33 shots, Richardson 22.

The NCAA selection committee will meet in New York to choose the Eastern hockey representatives on Sunday. Tufts' hockey coach Hafey Arthur yesterday was named to the committee.

The freshman sextet returned to the victory trail yesterday with a 4-to-1 North-win over Northeastern for its 14th victory in 15 starts. Captain Bill Cleary scored three and had one assist for the Yardlings