Elis Beat Swimmers, 55-29, To Take 100th Straight Win

By Ronald P. Kriss

Yale's swimmers took everything but the Harvard pool before they left Cambridge Saturday.

Bob Kiphuth's invincible Elis streaked to their 100th straight dual-meet victory, to another Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League crown, to nine records and ties of two others, and finally, to a convincing 55 to 29 victory over the previously undefeated Crimson.

The Bulldog freshmen had a tougher time of it, but nevertheless won their 103rd straight dual-met, 47 to 37, over Bill Brooks' Yardlings. A more six records were smashed here.

In the varsity meet, the Crimson picked up two firsts and five second places. Easily the most exciting was the threemeter dive, in which the Crimson's Pete Dillingham preserved his perfect record, shading Eli's Kenny Welch by 22-100ths of a point. Dillingham--who now has nine victories in nine performances for the year--tallied 101.35 points, while Welch picked up 101.63. Senior Larry Kelly was third.

The Crimson netted first and second in the 200-yard breast-stoke, with Ralph Zanl first in a better-than-good 2:25.3 minutes, and Ken Emerson second.

Sprinter Dave Hedberg, undefeated until Saturday, was high point man with two seconds, in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle sprints. He was bested both times buy Kerry Donovan, Yale's fastest sprinter in ten years.

The freshmen meet provided the most exciting event of the afternoon--the 150-yard individual medley. Dave Hawkins and Eli ace Hendrik Gidense Managed to break Yale and Harvard varsity and freshman marks, and intercollegiate records for the event. Gideonse won in 1:32 flat, Hawkins' time was 1:32.2.