Bob Ward Will Pitch Bowdoin Game

By Jack Rosenthal

A hit in the clutch is worth two with the bases empty. At least, it should be when the varsity baseball team faces Bowdoin at 3:45 p.m. this afternoon on Soldiers Field.

The Crimson dropped both its last two games by one run despite three and four hit pitching performances. Eleven Crimson runners were left on base in the team's 2 to 1 loss to Northeastern Monday, and the team equalled Springfield's three safeties in losing, 1 to 0, Saturday.

Bowdoin shouldn't be an easy team on which to fatten runs-batted-in totals. The visitors, according to Crimson coach Stuffy McInnis, have plenty of experience from play in top summer leagues.

McInnis will start the same team he used against Northeastern, with Bob Ward on the mound. Bill Chauncey will start in centerfield again, subbing for Bob Smith, experienced fly-chaser who is still out with a leg injury. Don Butters will start in right and Bob Gremp in left.

Captain Russ Johnson will hit in the cleanup slot, playing at first. Walt Greeley will start at second, and Ed Krinsky and Tim Wise, both recovered from previous leg injuries, will open at short and third respectively. Dick Clasby is scheduled to start behind the plate.

The freshman team travels to Brown today. Coach Adolf Samborski will start Ken Rossano, who pitched six innings against B.U. Saturday. The Yardlings walloped Northeastern, 16 to 6, Monday.