Salome

At the Astor

By Arthur J. Langguth

For those of us who have long suspected that Hollywood has its deep thinkers, Salome is a vindication. No doubt Arthur Miller though he was being profound and daring in The Crucible, but Salome makes his play look shallow and puritanical.

A weighty and subtle commentary on current affairs, Salome probes into the American scene under the veil of historical drama. A discerning viewer soon notes that the similarities between life in Washington, D.C., and life in Galilee are too broad to be coincidence.

Salome concerns a liberal, John, who is stirring up the populace with his wild doctrine. John soon comes to the notice of Joseph McCarthey (to avoid legal action, he is called Pontius Pilate in the film) who orders his arrest. Tiberius Caesar, a former military man now ruling the land--the implication here cannot be ignored--does not intercede and so the liberal loses his head for the last time.

Most of the pathos, however, comes from the picture's magnificent heroine. Obviously, Salome represents Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt, struggling valiantly to save this unfortunate man. That she is unsuccessful is not so important as that she has pulled every string at her command.

It would destroy much of the pleasure in the film to go on identifying the contemporary figures involved. Herod, the king, and Eliza, the prophet, should be no puzzle to the informed student.

At first, I questioned the film's taste in suggesting Mrs. Roosevelt disporting with seven skimpy gauzes. But even this is symbolic. Mrs. Roosevelt is unburdening herself of her U.N. duties, with a red veil suggesting the Russian problem and so on. By the time she has reached the French situation, there is only the draft left to consider.

The distinguished cast, Charles Laughton, Judith Anderson, and Stewart Granger, all evidently donated their services for this important work; they certainly could not accept money for what they have done. Rita Hayworth, in the title role, again proves that she stacks up against any dramatic competition. Now that she has so deftly gone through the motions in contemporary drama, her next picture should be a change of pace--perhaps a story from the Bible.