Summer School Advance Enrollment Decreases Ten Percent From 1952

Advance registrations for the Harvard Summer School, following a trend which began after World War II, decreased this spring.

Alan K. Campbell, assistant director of the Summer School, said yesterday that only 381 Harvard and Radcliffe students enrolled at the advance registration on April 21 and 22.

Although this was the lowest figure since the end of the war, Campbell said it is "not too discouraging" because the registration followed the long Patriots Day weekend. Therefore, many students did not know of the dates.

About ten percent fewer students applied this year than last, when 430 enrolled. However, last year's final enrollment reached 2,168. Campbell feels that applications this year will stay on a par with last.

Campbell said that the decline was caused by an ease in the draft scare. He was optimistic about the final total and felt that the decline in students registering now has been less than in previous years.

Registration for those who did not sign on the early dates is now going on and will continue until July 6.