Six to Face Trial Today For Bachelder Slashing

Graduate Will Testify Before Court Today In Spite of Injuries

By John A. Pope

Six Cambridge youths charged with the beating and slashing of Richmond Bachelder '50 last week come to trial this morning. The seriously injured Bachelder will be present in court to testify.

The boys were picked up by Cambridge police early last Saturday morning, following a brutal attack on Bachelder and a companion, Frederick M. Fawcett '53, late Friday night. They come before the Third District Court in East Cambridge at 9 a.m.

Fawcett, who escaped the attack with only minor bruises, will also testify this morning. In order to appear in court he must miss a general examination which will be administered to him later today by a special proctor.

No New Leads

Police had no new leads on the case last night. Additional suspects have not been picked up, although the group of attackers numbered nearly a dozen according to Fawcett's report. In court last Saturday all the boys entered pleas of not guilty to an assault and battery charge.

One of the youths charged, John Cunningham, 18, is employed by the University. Cunningham resumed work in the Union kitchen this week, after being released on $1,000 bail. All the boys booked are between 17 and 19 years old.

Bachelder, who received a knife wound running from above his right eye through his ear and into the back of his neck, spent Friday night at Cambridge City Hospital, after being refused admittance to Stillman Infirmary. He was moved to his home in Newton Highlands Saturday.

The attack occurred on Boylston St. in front of the Harvard Square Garage shortly after 10:30 p.m. Friday. Bachelder and Fawcett were returning from a club dinner in tuxedos when they were jumped by a gang of boys.

After the attackers had fled, Fawcett dragged the unconscious Bachelder to the ice house near the Harvard Provision Store on Mt. Auburn St. There they were picked up by a patrol car and rushed to the hospital.

On the night of the attack Fawcett said, ". . . I can't identify anyone. It all happened too fast."