Lacrosse Team Loses to Williams, 12 to 9, in Hard, Rough Game Here

By Walter W. Bregman

Lacrose may be a gentleman's game, but the Williams contest on Saturday looked more like the Dead End Kids playing shinny.

A determined Crimson fought tooth and nail, but went home a 12 to 9 loser.

Playing against the first rough team on the current home stand, the varsity defense was run hard in the opening minutes and allowed Purple attackman Ted Johnson to hit for two quick goals. The locals countered with a freak goal by Chuck Edwards. Williams tallied three minutes later. The varsity hit when attackman Phil Waring took a pass from Ed Curtis and fired in fast and low. Only 115 seconds later, Monk Aiello picked off another pass from Curtis to tie the score. Williams again took the lead, 4 to 3, on a shot from a nearly impossible angle above and far to the right of the age. That ended the scoring for the period.

In the second period, however, the Crimson came back playing a fast, rough game on defense, shaking up the Eph stickhandlers, and capitalizing on opportunities to score. Williams got two quick tallies, but the varsity again tied the score and went ahead, 7 to 6, on goals by Skip Baldwin, Waring, and two by Curtis.

The third period was a different story as Williams scored three to the locals' single and took the lead 9 to 8. Coming back strong, the Ephs outran the varsity, while the Purple goals, Stark, lived up to the All-American predictions, making seemingly impossible saves.

In the final frame, the only goal the locals got through Stark was a shot by Waring. This was his fourth goal of the day, and brings his season total to 33.