Bowdoin, 3 Other Awards Reported

Four groups of awards were announced yesterday by Sargeant Kennedy, secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

First prize winner in the Bowdoin Awards is Ivan Nabokoff '53. Nabokoff gets $500 for his essay, "Alms for Oblivion: John Marston's Dutch Courtezan and the Satiric Drama."

A second prize of $300 goes to Elliot S. Vesell '55. Daniel Steiner '54 is the winner of the third prize of $100. Honorable mentions were awarded to Ralph N. Maud '53 and Fred J. Levy '54.

In the group I graduate class, Gordon K. Lewis 1G was awarded a prize of $300. Kenneth S. Lynn, II 5G won a prize of $300 in the group II social studies division. Honorable mention was awarded to Melvin Richer 6G. James B. Hendrickson 3G was awarded the $300 prize in the group III natural sciences division.

The William Harris Arnold and Gertrude Weld Arnold Prize award of $950 has been given to Ralph Blum, II '54 for an essay entitled "The True Spirit of Book Collecting."

Robert B. Layzer '53 was the winner of the $210 Lloyd McKim Garrison Prize for 1952-53 for his poem, "Brownstone." He will also receive a silver medal. Charles E. Neuhauser '53 was awarded honorable mention.

The Francis Boot Prize for 1952-53 was given to Peter T. Westergaard '53 for his "Song for Small Chorus and Three Wind Instruments on a text by John Skelton." The amount of the prize is $100.