Yale Lacrosse Team Wins 11-7 Over An Underdog Crimson Ten Saturday

By Hiller B. Zobel

'Moral victories," the cynic claims, "don't mean a thing." The varsity lacrosse team can disregard that assertion, and can well look back on Saturday's 11 to 7 loss to Yale with satisfaction and pride.

Yale had the power, Yale had the depth, and Yale had the finesse, the experts said. Yet for almost three periods, the Crimson trampled the Eli reputation deep into the mud of the Business School Field.

Coach Bruce Munro's men played a fast, hard game, with everyone hustling and everyone doing his job. They were still pressing at the end, although Yale's manpower advantage had decided the contest by the fourth period.

The Crimson caught the Ellis early, on a first-minute goal by Phil Waring, who scored four times in all, to bring his season's goal total to 50.

Penalties and some tricky Yale shooting soon erased this margin, however, and the Blue led 3 to 1 at the period's end.

The Bulldogs might have clinched the game there, but superb defense work by the midfields, the points, and goalie Steve Den Hartog prevented any immediate scoring. Waring counted again to make the half-time score 3 to 2.

Captain Ron Huebsch tied it up early in the half, and then Waring sent the locals ahead. Yale quickly evened the count, only to have Waring put the varsity in front for the last time.

After that, despite continued Crimson pressing, the Elis managed to build up an insuperable lead.

Bullpups Beat Yardlings, 15-12

Despite five goals by Captain Dexter Lewis, and a fine last-minute rally, the freshman lacrosse team lost to Yale, 15 to 12, overtime here Saturday.