MacArthur Unable to Attend Commencement for Degree

General Douglas MacArthur will not come to Cambridge this Commencement to receive his long-waiting honorary degree.

Colonel Lawrence Huff, MacArthur's press assistant, told the CRIMSON that the former Far Eastern Commander is "too busy to come to Cambridge June 11."

In 1946, MacArthur was one of several military leaders awarded honorary degrees at Commencement, but he was in the Far East at the time.

Colonel Huff said that his schedule has been "completely filled up until August." In June, Huff added, MacArthur will be so busy that he "won't even be at West Point for his 50th anniversary."

"Much as he would like to," Huff said, "General MacArthur will not be able to pick up his degree."

MacArthur is presently chairman of the board of Remington Rand, and Huff said that "at present he cannot take time out."

Other military men who received degrees with MacArthur in 1946 included Generals Dwight D. Eisenhower, Omar Bradley, and Admiral Ernest King. They were able to attend the Commencement ceremonies in Cambridge that year.