AFL'S Tactics Assailed; Employees Vote Today

By Richard H. Ullman

On the eve of today's election to decide whether the AFL or the HUERA will represent University maids and janitors, Administrative Vice-President Reynolds denounced the AFL for circulating "grossly misleading" statements.

The AFL had intended to present Reynolds with an honorary life membership at a meeting at the Hotel Commander last night for what they termed the "excellent cooperation" he had shown. In a letter to University employees, Reynolds yesterday stated he had no intention of accepting the membership.

"If they intend to imply my support of the solicitation of your vote in favor of any union," he told them, "I believe you will feel as I do that it is an example of very poor taste."

"Letter Slanted"

When contacted last night, Matthew L. McGrath, New England director of the AFL affiliated Building Service Employees International, lashed out at Reynolds for what he termed "slanting" the letter to the employees. "Mr. Reynolds clearly was not impartial in his position should show strict impartiality." McGarth also denied that the AFL or any other union could call a strike unless the local members wanted one.

In his letter, Reynolds went on to say it was "the intention of the University to deal openly and fairly with whatever union is properly selected in a fairly conducted election." He urged all eligible employees to vote, because the winner will be a majority of those voting, not a majority of the total eligible.

In another letter sent earlier, Reynolds commended the HUERA for the 15 years of continuous relations it has had with of continuous relations it has had with the Univeristy. "Our employees enjoy wage and salary levels, as well as fringe benefits including pensions, equal to or better than those of similar institutions."

Voting begins at 7:30 this morning and continues until 5:30 p.m. at Harvard Hall in Cambridge and at the Medical and Business schools.