Divinity Student May Become New P.B.H. Secretary

Phillips Brooks House's Committee broke precedent yesterday by submitting the name of Neil Hasty '52, a first year student at the Episcopal Theological School, to the Corporation for approval as the next Graduate Secretary of the social center.

The appointment came in the face of an earlier verbal assurance by Provost Buck that the new Graduate Secretary would not have any denominational connections. In the past the Graduate Secretary, as director of the House, has been non-sectarian.

Hasty revealed that he received a letter from Willard L. Sperry, Dean of the Divinity School and chairman of the PBH Committee, yesterday, informing him of his nomination.

The letter said that the committee had recommended Hasty, who is still active in PBH social service, for the job for one year. Such recommendations usually assure Corporation approval.

At the same time yesterday the PBH Cabinet, composed of the House's undergraduate officers and committee chairmen, learned that the committee had denied its request to place additional men under consideration.

Nominations Closed Suddenly

In a letter addressed to the Cabinet, Sperry said that nominations were closed. The message told the group that if it objected to Hasty's nomination it would have to deal directly with the Corporation.

Earlier, the Cabinet had approached acting chairman Dean Leighton, and received permission to make additional suggestions. Hasty indicated that he had discussed at length with Sperry his role at non-sectarian Phillips Brooks House. "I recognize the importance of keeping PBH open to all people regardless of faith," he said last night.

It was expected, however, that the nomination would bring protests from denominational interests other than Episcopalian.

If approved, Hasty will succeed Robert L. Fischelis '49, whose resignation becomes effective July 1.