SEARS REPLIES

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The unsigned letter in this morning's CRIMSON is so unfounded in truth and so utterly ridiculous that my first reaction was to ignore it. Because I am so wholly unconscious of any prejudice against any man on account of his race or religion, I have decided to make this brief statement.

The Yacht Club, of which I am Commodore, advertised in the CRIMSON for applicants to serve as steward and stewardess for the summer season. No conditions were imposed on the qualifications for the job other than the couple must have a car and no children. There are no living accommodations at the Club that would permit more than a married couple.

While the position was open I received word that a couple, about whom I made inquiries, was ready to accept. Thereafter I received several calls applying for the job and my secretary or I informed those calling that the position was probably filled but if they would care to leave their number we would call back if our plans fell through. Some of the calls I took myself, and to some of those calling, when I had the time, I outlined the duties required of the couple at the club. At no time was the name, or the race, or the religion of the couple of the slightest consideration.

It is appalling to me that someone, because be was a disappointed applicant, should drag in an issue that does not exist. My close associations and friendships with so many people of every race, creed and color is, to me, a complete answer to this unfounded and unsigned letter. Samuel P. Sears.