Tar Heels Smash Tennis Team, 9-3, For 20th in Row

Crimson tennis players took as many points from North Carolina as any team has taken this season, but the Tar Heels had little trouble racking up their 20th straight win yesterday, 9 to 3.

Freshman Pete Green, usually number seven man for the Tar Heels, pulled the upset of the day by trouncing the Crimson's top man, Johnny Rauh, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4. Green took over the number one slot when North Carolina's Del Sylvia failed to arrive in time for singles play.

Captain Charlie Ufford momentarily put the Crimson ahead by dropping former interscholastic champ Herb Browne at the second position. Ufford, playing his top game, took the match in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5.

The only other Crimson player to win in singles was lefty Gene Mann. With Alex Haegler out of the lineup he moved up to the four spot to edge unbeaten former Hill School star Don Thompson 6-4, 4-6, 9-7.

In doubles the Crimson's number one team of Ufford and Art French beat the all-freshman duo of Thompson and Tom Bradford, 6-2, 6-4. The rest was all North Carolina.

Bradford beat Art French, 6-4, 6-4, in the fourth spot. At five singles, Bobby Payne clipped Don Bossart, 6-2, 6-1. At six, Dave Watts bowed to Sam Handol.