Swimming Team Meets Brown Tomorrow Night

By Thomas Linden

Potentially fast and flashy, the varsity swimming team will show good form, but not the best of it, when it takes to the I.A.B. pool against Brown at 8:30 p.m. tomorrow night.

In a 7 p.m. preliminary meet, Coach Bill Brooks will launch his Crimson freshmen against their Bruin opponents, and if the Yardlings perform as well as the varsity is expected to, two Brown teams will leave the Blockhouse with no more victories than the one they bring.

The Brown varsity has swum twice, edging Columbia, 44-40, and losing, 50-34, to a Pennsylvania team which Crimson Coach Hal Ulen says is "a little better than usual."

Brown's top man is its captain, Ralph Brisco. A good back stroke and medley swimmer he won the 50- and 100-yard sprints against the Crimson last year in times of 23 and 52.7 seconds. These speeds are better than those the varsity produced in boating Springfield before the vacation.

Another Bruin senior, Bob Wills, took third in the 220 and 440 against the Crimson last year, and won the 440 in both Brown's meets this winter. Barry Pearce in the back stroke and sophomore Joel King in the 50 are highly regarded by Ulen.

Besides these four, Ulen knows virtually nothing about the Brown squad.

But he knows the Crimson has depth. In beating Springfield, 50-34, in the varsity's opening meet and only competition so far this season, two Crimson swimmers scored in every event, and two men placed among the first three in all but one of the events it didn't win.

Top billing still goes to All-American back stroker Don Mulvey and sophomore Dave Hawkins, who broke Crimson records in the 220 and breast stroke against Springfield in his first varsity meet.

Ulen is "well pleased" with Jimmy Jorgenson and Ted Whatley in the sprints and Eric Uland and Worth Bingham in the back stroke.

All is not strength, however. Ulen explains that the Crimson's diving is not as good as it should be, and its 440 is weak. The varsity hopes to improve for its post-mid year schedule when it faces Army, Navy, Penn, Dartmouth, and Princeton. Ulen feels the squad has not yet shown its full potential.