New Furniture Appears Gradually In First Replacement Since 1929

Over 1600 new articles of furniture were installed in undergraduate rooms during the first year of the College's replacement plan, according to figures released yesterday by Arthur D. Trottenberg, operating manager of Houses and College dormitories.

The 1953-54 fiscal year was the first since the construction of the Houses in 1929 that any attempt was made to replace furniture installed at that time.

The College did not take action in the 24 years mainly because funds had never been appropriated for the purpose, Trottenberg explained. Under the new program, part of dormitory incomes will cover the cost of replacing and refinishing furniture. This added expense was one of the contributing factors to the recent raise in room rent, Trottenberg said.

All College furniture has been classified in one of the four categories: "reject, repair desirable, repair undesirable, and perfectly good."

New articles of furniture will replace pieces in category one only. "Repair desirable" furniture undergoes refinishing, while "repair undesirable" pieces remain in a room until they are worn enough to be replaced.

Trottenberg explained that the program is a continuing process and will never be completed. When some of the present articles termed "perfectly good" need replacement, some of the new furniture installed last winter and spring will need repair.

The principal pieces that were replaced were bureaus, desks, beds, and Harvard Chairs.