PRE-MED REMEDY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Your editorial "Pre-Med Prescription," in your issue of October 25, is naturally of interest to us, and we notice that it makes no mention of the Board of Tutors in Biochemical Sciences. While we have no official responsibility for pre-medical students in Harvard College, apart from our own concentrators who largely fall in that category, we are prepared to consult with students who want advice about preparation for medical school, and a large file of medical school catalogs is kept in our office at 27 Holyoke House, which is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday. Every member of our Board has been consulted by students in other fields who wish advice about preparation for medicine. Most of the 14 members of the Board of Tutors are connected with Harvard Medical School or one of the affiliated hospitals, and spend only a limited amount of time at Harvard College each week. In the aggregate, however, they represent a broad array of talent and experience in fields related to medicine. Four members of the Board have House affiliations--two at John Winthrop, one at Kirkland and one at Leverett House.

Naturally I welcome the appointment of a resident pre-medical adviser in Eliot House, and would be glad to see other Houses take similar steps. However I believe that the situation regarding advising for pre-medical students is not quite so bleak as your editorial would suggest. John T. Edsall   Chairman, Board of Tutors in Biochemical Sciences