University Professors Praise Nobel Group's Choice of Hemingway.

Several University professors yesterday praised the Nobel Committee's decision to award Ernest Hemingway its 1954 literature prize.

"It is very good and obvious choice," said Albert J. Guerard, associate professor of English, whose Comp Lit. 166 course covers Hemingway's early works. "I am very glad that he got it. The prize should have been given to him a long time ago."

Perry G. E. Miller, professor of American literature, joined Guerard in asserting that "Hemingway was long overdue for the Nobel Prize."

Associate Professor of English Herschel C. Baker '39 felt that the committee had not slighted Hemingway by falling to award him the Nobel Prize earlier.

"I do not think that Hemingway should necessarily have received the award at an earlier time. Churchill and Faulkner certainly deserved Committee recognition as much. Stil, it's about time they gave it to him," he added.

"This is a fine and fitting accolade to a distinguished career in American letters," said John M. Bullitt, associate professor of English.