Varsity to Face Ohio Ground Attack On Muddy Stadium Field at 2 p.m.

Crimson Eleven Seen As Six Point Choice On Line Strength

By Jack Rosenthal

Hopefully, the only thing that will be raining from Soldiers Field skies today will be rain. After succeeding only once in four tries against passing teams, the varsity football team finally meets in Ohio University an opponent which concentrates on a ground attack.

This is not to say that the Bobcats, who play the Crimson at 2 p.m. this afternoon in the Stadium, cannot pass--for they have Bill Frederick, a quarterback who completed seven of 14 passes against the varsity in last year's game.

But the visitors come to Cambridge with what Crimson Coach Lloyd Jordan believes is the "best running attack we've faced this season."

Keys to that attack are a pair of half-backs, Erland Ahlberg, who has averaged eight yards per carry this season, and Roger Thomas, who has averaged four. At 158 and 160 pounds respectively, they could well be described as pony books; Ohio Coach Carroll Widdoes is hoping they are also mudders.

Varsity Favored

Coupled with a powerful fullback, Ted Jackson (211 pounds) and Frederick (37 yards gained passing in last year's game), the Ohio backfield should bear out Jordan's contention.

But, in addition to Stadium mud, the Ohio backs will face a solid Crimson line, perhaps the most encouraging part of the local football picture. Encouraging enough, in fact, to rate the varsity at least a six-point pre-game advantage.

Meyer Still Out

Jordan will still be lacking the services of starting center Jan Meyer, sidelined with a back injury, but he will have 195 pounds of Art painter with which to fill in. His starting tackles, juniors Orville Tice and John Maher should leave little doubt as to who they are, and as for the guards, Captain Tim Anderson and Bill Meigs will again start. No more need be said.

Jordan, hoping that his backfield unit will finally function as such, will start his usual quartet. The 5,000 fans (if it rains) or 15,000 (if it doesn't) will see Jerry Marsh at quarterback, Bob Cowies at wingback, and sophomores Tony Gianelly at full back and Matt Botsford at tailback. Jim Joslin is also expected to see a good deal of action at the latter position.

Last Ohio Game

Missing from the backfield will be shifty Dexter Lewis, out with a muscle injury.

While Jordan feels the game will provide the Crimson with a good test for the running attacks of Princeton, Brown and Yale, this will be the last time Ohio visits Cambridge.