Soccer Team Gains 5 to 1 Win Over Strong Amherst

By Stephen L. Seftenberg

The varsity soccer team surprised a reputedly strong Amherst team Saturday with a decisive 5 to 1 victory on the Business School Field.

Playing in an intermittent rain that made the Sold a quagmire, the Crimson dominated play throughout the game, as inside forwards Marv Weiss and Mauricio Tore shared scoring honors with two goals apiece.

Amherst led by All-American halfback Dick Fischer, previously had lost only to Yale, and was supposed to give the Crimson a fight.

The Jeffs showed little aggression in the first period, however, and Toro's two goals, coming at 10:42 and 13:45, gave the Crimson a lead it never lost. The varsity was clearly outrunning and out-passing Amherst and continually peppered Jeff goalie John Goldthwaite, who had allowed but one goal per game before Saturday.

At 10:15 of the second quarter Weiss scored the actual clincher on a fine wide-angle shot from the right, putting the Crimson ahead, 3 to 0.

Charles Rogers, the Jeff center half, spoiled Crimson goalie Lindsay Fischer's shutout at 14:55 of the second on a penalty kick which came after a disputed hands call on Crimson fullback Hugh Sargent.

Midway in the third quarter, center half Stacey Holmes scored his second goal of the season as he faked out Goldthwaite on a solo rush.

Crimson coach Bruce Munro replaced his first team for most of the last period, but put them back in during the final minutes when Weiss scored his second goal at 19:30.

Yardlings Win, 4-3

A measure of the Crimson's offensive superiority was that its goalies made only seven saves, while Goldthwaite was credited with ten.

The Yardling soccer team continued its winning streak by edging Phillips Academy, 4 to 3, at Andover. The freshmen, who have now scored 27 goals and allowed only four in five straight victories, have only Milton Academy, Brown and Yale standing in the way of their first undefeated season since -927.