Crimson Line Faces Strong Brown Backfield

Anthony Replaces Injured Meigs; Bottsford Will Start at Tailback

By Steven C. Swett

Brown, with the Ivy League's best offense, and the Crimson, with the League's strongest defense, meet at 1:30 p.m. this afternoon in a game which catches the home eleven suspended between beating Princeton last week and waiting for Yale next. On the basis of its league-leading backfield and this psychological advantage, the Bruins rank as one touchdown favorites.

Brown Coach Al Kelley calls his team "the best in four years at Brown. We have a record of 5 and 2. That means we'll have our first winning season in the four years I have been coaching at Brown."

His backfield leads the league in almost every offensive department. Halfback Archie Williams is the top ground gainer and halfback Pete Kohut is leading the league in total yardage. Ev Pearson has scored a total of 44 points in seven games to top the league. This offense looms formidable against the Crimson defense--the best in the league--but weakened by the questionable status of guard Bill Meigs, who broke his nose against Princeton last week.

"I'll have to wait until Saturday before I decide on Meigs," Jordan said after yesterday's brisk workout. Meigs dressed for the light drill. "I'll see the complete medical report tomorrow," Jordan said. "Anthony will probably be in there to begin with." Jim Anthony weighs 190 pounds and has played second to Meigs all season.

Except for Meigs, the varsity will be at full strength. Both tailbacks Jim Joslin and Matt Botsford are ready to play. Botsford ran through the sweat-suit drill and will start this afternoon at tailback. Quarterback Jerry Marsh will call signals and fullback Tony Gianelly should plunge for the short ones and back up the line on defense. Jordan plans to start Bob Cowles at wing. Should he falter, Joe Conzelman, who played his best game of the season against Princeton, will replace him.

Brown's triple threat backfield may miss the services of quarterback T. D. Thompson, whose passes to Brown ends Joe Bianowicz and Harry Josephson press hard on any defense. Thompson was injured early in the season.

At quarterback Brown has Pete Kohut, the third best passer in the East and ranked 15th in the nation with a completion record of 51.2. His aerials have accounted for six Brown touchdowns. Through the middle Brown runs fullback Vin Jazwinski who stands behind Williams as the second best rusher in the Ivy League.

To stop this powerful ground attack, Harvard will field its regular forward wall, with the possible exception of Meigs. Bob Cochran and Joe Ross will be at ends. Orville Tice and John Maher anchor down tackle positions. Captain Tim Anderson, as usual, will start at right guard, with Meigs' replacement Anthony at left guard. Jordan plans to send Art Painter in as center.