Six-Block Gap

While the Harvard student has long associated freely with his tutors and teachers, the Radcliffe girl has missed the advantages of social, as well as intellectual contact with her professors. Recognizing this failing, Radcliffe, in 1949 began its program of faculty associates, under which four to six distinguished Harvard faculty members and their wives were appointed to each Radcliffe hall.

For some of the associates, the attempt to simulate the benefits of resident tutors, has been both successful and enjoyable. They have made it a point to dine at Radcliffe several times each month, occasionally drop in for lunch, and even lecture informally on topics in their fields. They are easily approachable for such things as letters of recommendation. But for most of the associates, there has been more than a six-block gap between the theory and practice of the program. Because of their stature and attendant responsibilities, many of the affiliated professors have been able to offer only cursory attention to the halls with which they are associated. Because of the distance, many have been reluctant to simply "drop in for lunch."

So that more girls can know their teachers, the faculty associate program should be expanded. While retaining the prestige of the present affiliates, Radcliffe should add younger men, perhaps of the assistant professor or instructor level. While these men might not be as well known, they would usually be able to offer more time to the program. The Radcliffe girl could then derive at least some of the advantages of a resident-tutor plan, and, in student-faculty associations as well as instruction, Radcliffe could be separate, but far closer to equal.