Hockey Team Topes Brown For Third Pentagonal Win

By Peter G. Palches

PROVIDENCE, R.I., Feb 10--The Crimson hockey team wrapped up its third straight Pentagonal League victory here tonight while smashing Brown's aspirations for the league title and a four-year Providence jinx in a 6 to 3 victory at the Rhode Island Auditorium.

Brown held on until the last period when Dong Manchester scored the tie breaking goal at 9:16 here before a partisan crowd. It was the first Crimson ice victory in Providence since 1949.

Wing Dick Clashy scored the team's insurance goals assisted by sophomore Bill Cleary at 15:20 and by Captain Normie Wood at 16:06.

Previously the Bruins had come from behind to tie the score in the second period with spectacular shooting and play making. Dan Keefe first scored with a shot from 15 yards out after taking a pass from Dick Petite. Petite netted the Bruin's second goal at 15:28. The third Brown score resulted when Cleary accidentally deflected a shot past Charlie Flynn into the Harvard goal.

Jon Crehore made the best Crimson goal of the evening three minutes after the Bruins had netted their first score. Manchester, surrounded by defense men in Brown's left corner, flipped the puck out to Crehore who just caught the right hand inside of the net.

Bray Opens Scoring

Job Bray had first put the sextet off to a fast start scoring after only 11 seconds of the opening period. Manchester followed with the varsity's second goal on a rebound at 14:20 after a solo attempt by Scott Cooledge.

Outstanding for the Bruins was goalie Dave Halborson who turned away 36 Crimson shots while Flynn caved 14 goals for Harvard.

The second line of Manchester, Cooledge, and Crehore, accounting for three Crimson goals, led Harvard's offensive.

In the preliminary game, the Yardling sextet, sparked by the brilliant net-minding of Jimmy Bailey, whipped the Brown Cubs, 6 to 1, for its fifty straight victory.