Advance Plan To Go Before Faculty Today

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences this afternoon will begin discussion of the Educational Policy Committee's report on advanced standing.

Since the plan contains many controversial points, it is almost certain that no vote will be taken on the report today. Advanced standing represents the most significant academic change proposed in the College since the adoption of General Education.

The plan, providing for the admission of exceptional students as sophomores, and proposing a broad new placement system, was drawn up by the Policy Committee composed of 11 professors, and headed by Dean Bundy.

The report, which will be submitted to the faculty in the form of a three-page pamphlet, states the plan only in outline. Details will be worked out by a nine-man Committee on Special Standing that will be established if the plan is passed.

Two sources of Criticism

Of the five major points covered in the report, there are two which are almost certain to be criticized. The first is the proposal that students who receive advanced placement in three or more courses be admitted directly as sophomores. This would allow certain students to graduate in three years instead of four.

The other proposal allows students "of superior achievement and maturity" to enter as freshmen after the eleventh grade of secondary school.

The other members of the Committee, besides Bundy, are: J. Douglas Bush, professor of English; Frank M. Carpenter, professor of Entomology; Frederick B. Deknatch professor of Fine Arts; John F. Elder, associate professor of Greek and Latin; Wilbur K. Jordan, professor of History; Leonard H. Nash, assistant professor of Chemistry; Norman F. Ramsey, professor of Physics; Allen D. Sapp, Jr., instructor in Music; Burrhus F. Skinner, professor of Psychology; and Arthur Smithies, professor of Economics.

Bush is reported to be the only member of the Committee who voted against the report. "Liberal education," said Bush "should not be viewed as a prison term with one-fourth off for good behavior. I'm aware of the pressure of time and money, but these should not be the real consideration."