Boston College Tops Crimson Sextet, 4-1

By John J. Iselin

Boston College saved its supreme "fight and die" inspiration, Snooks Kelley Night, for the upset-minded hockey team. The Eagle players responded magnificently to the challenge of the occasion to completely outclass the Crimson, 4 to 1, before a near capacity, beer-starved Garden crowd last night.

Neither the presence of sophomore Bill Cleary, nor the varsity's three-line depth, nor the sensational play of defensemen Jeff Coolidge and Ed Mikonich could match the sustained class of the Eagles. The win was Kelley's 201st in his 19-year career on the Heights, and served to smother, completely smother, any Crimson pretensions to another western trip.

Strong Start

The varsity was at full strength and primed to win. It started out as if it meant of knock off B.C. and thoroughly avenge two earlier Eagle victories. For two-line changes, the puck was constantly deep in the B.C. zone. Twice, Doug Manchester snaked through the defense to got clean shots at starting goalie Chick D'Entremont, only to have both deflected. But that brief flurry represented the high mark of Crimson pressure for the evening. Except for a moment in the final period when Job Bray swung the B.C. defense and poked the puck past D'Entremont for the varsity's lone score, the rest of the game belonged to the Eagle sextet.

Led by little Bobby Babine, the Eagles swarmed over Charlie Flynn and the Crimson net all evening. With Flynn putting on a brilliant performance in the nets, especially in the second and third periods, and Coolidge and Mrkonich body-checking furiously, Cooney Weiland's sextet managed to ward off the Eagles most of the evening. But inability to clear the puck and momentary defensive lapses enabled B.C. to build up a three goal first period lead, then coast for the remainder of the contest.

Flynn came way out to grab defenseman Bob Siblo's bounder at 8:00 of the first period only to have the puck dribble past him into the net. Less than two minutes later, Frank Quinn scored his first of three on an assist from defenseman Cisternelli. Twice more within the next four minutes the light flashed red behind the Crimson net, but both scores were recalled for rule infractions. On the first, Billy Maguire was off-sides, and on the second three B.C. players had been crowded in the cease. Cisternelli set up the third Eagel Goal at 13:25 with a blue-line shot that bounded off the boards in front of Flynn. Quinn slapped it in.

Despite superb B.C. team play, the Crimson fought the Eagles evenly for the final two periods. But there was never a question of Harvard being the superior team. Quinn scored again at 14:57 of the second. Bray evened that counter in the third after sophomores Pete Summers had replaced injured Ned Bliss on the third line. Bliss was removed halfway through the contest with a reported broken elbow.

Crimson followers had to suffer the defeat with parched lips as the ABC in its announced crackdown closed all beer stands in the Garden.ED MRKONICH (2) of the varsity breaking of a Boston College play in front of the Crimson's net last night. Also in the picture is goalie CHARLIE FLYNN. Boston College defeated the Crimson for the third time this season, 4 to 1.