Faculty Approves Scheduling More Away Grid Games

The Faculty yesterday ended all restrictions on the number of away games for the varsity football team.

Where the previous limit had been two away games a year, the Faculty yesterday took a proposal to extend the number to three, and voted to end all strict limits on the away games.

The move facilitated Harvard's entrance into the new Ivy League agreement, officially announced last Thursday. Under this pact, each Ivy League team will play seven league games. Although Brown and Dartmouth have comparatively small home stadiums which would mean financial losses for visiting teams, it was emphasized that the teams should play a home and away series as often as possible.

Crimson to Alternate

Thus the Crimson will definitely alternate home appearances with Yale, Princeton, Columbia, and probably Cornell and Pennsylvania. Against Dartmouth and Brown however, Harvard would probably play in Cambridge for four out of five or five out of six games.

Under the old ruling, however, the football team would only have been allowed one other away game in addition to the Yale or Princeton contest.

While the Faculty formerly regulated the number of away games, the Athletic Association officials now will determine just how many times the team will play away from Cambridge.

The Faculty's approval came more as a matter of course after the Corporation had approved the new Ivy agreement earlier this year.

Begins in 1956

The new Ivy Schedule does not begin until 1956, since the final schedules for 1954 and tentative ones for 1955 have already been drawn up.

This fall the football team plays Princeton in New Jersey, Cornell in Ithaca, and Columbia and Yale in Cambridge. Colgate was moved off the schedule in the gradual shift back to an Ivy slate.