Governor Herter Proposes Plan to Increase M.T.A. Fare to 20 Cents

The 15-cent subway fare will be a thing of the past by March 1 if Gov. Herter's plan to revise the MTA is passed as expected.

Under the Governor's proposal the fare would be hiked to 20 cents for a single token and 50 cents for three.

The Metropolitan Affairs Committee approved the plan Tuesday night, and Chairman Sen. Phillip G. Bowker (R-Brookline) predicted quick approval by the Massachusetts Legislature.

If the Herter proposal is not accepted, the Public Utilities Department will reconsider an MTA request for an increase that might double the fare of some riders.

In addition to the fare rise, Herter's plan calls for the permanent assessing of the MTA's fixed charges on the 14 cities and towns in the transit district. It also provides that this portion of the debt will not be considered in establishing fares.

An amendment to the bill was also accepted by the Committee. The addition provides a reduction in the fixed assessment if the MTA goes into the black. But this would only happen if the surplus reached two million dollars.

According to the Committee, three Democrats voted against the plan, and one Representative abstained.