Jordan Includes Radcliffe In Advance Standing Plan

By Carlota G. Shipman

Recent College proposals for the advanced standing of outstanding secondary school students will also apply to Radcliffe, President Wilbur K. Jordan announced yesterday.

Jordan asserted, however, that since women are not bothered by the problems of the draft and professional work, they do not feel the same pressure to finish college in three years as men.

"It is my impression," he said, "that if the opportunity to graduate in three years were given, few would accept it."

But Jordan expects the program to "advance the prestige of honors work, since the student will be freed for leisurely and serious work in her senior year." The possibilities of course reduction are thus of special interest, he said.

A provision of the Advanced Standing Plan, as proposed for Harvard, would allow concentrators to omit a maximum of two courses from their total academic load to free them for research work or general study.

Younger Students

If the plan is approved, Radcliffe may be ready to admit younger students. This is significant because while the average age of marriage has dropped two years, according to recent surveys, the average age of Radcliffe freshman applicants has remained almost exactly at 18.

A separate committee to administer the program for the 'Cliffe may be necessary, President Jordan added, since different problems are involved. "In terms of course reduction a higher proportion of Radcliffe girls will probably qualify in languages, but not as many in the sciences."