Allport Hits Social Relations Courses At Social Work Career Conferences

Gordon W. Allport '19, chairman of the Department of Psychology, last night criticized the Social Relations Department for being "too theoretically back-grounded."

Allport moderated the career conference on "Ministry, Social Work and Psychological Services," held in the Dunster House Dining Hall.

He said that the University has not kept pace with the growth of social work in providing practical courses for the future social worker.

The main speakers last night were Ernest F. Witte, executive director of the Council on Social Work Education; George H. Williams, acting dean of the the Divinity School; and Dr. Robert W. White '25, lecturer on Clinical Psychology.

All the speakers agreed that there is a wide spread of opportunities in their respective fields. But they were all careful to point out that to succeed in each field requires hard work and a strong educational background.

Many Opportunities in Fields

Witte, a graduate of the University of Nebraska, said that of the 100,000 social workers in the country, only 20 percent are professionally prepared. Thus, he said, the opportunities for a properly qualified man--a possessor of an A.B. and at least two years of graduate work --are large.

Williams, holder of numerous degrees from schools throughout the world, said there are 15,000 pulpits in this country without ministers. For this reason alone, he pointed out, there are openings in the ministry.