Marquette to Offer Police Guards for Debate Council

Marquette University, alma mater of Senator Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis.), has offered protection to members of the College debate team who will oppose the Senator's policies in a debate at Milwaukee April 9.

In a letter, confirming the date of the debate, Huge Hellman, head of Marquette's speech school, said "Adequate protection will be provided for the Harvard debaters."

The original topic was: Resolved, That McCarthyism is beneficial to the United States. After some disagreement, however, the topic has been tentatively restated: Resolved, That investigation of subversives be restricted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Crimson will defend the affirmative.

"Apparently Marquette is expecting the debate to be quite an event," said Richard A. Anderson '56, corresponding secretary of the Debate Council. He explained that Crimson debaters had been requested to appear in formal attire instead of the traditional fiannels.

Team to Be Chosen

George M. Frederickson '56, vice-president of the Debate Council, said last night, "We will be very happy to debate Marquette despite any difficulties which may arise.

"In the past, Harvard has been willing to debate almost anyone, in any circumstances, and on any topic," he added.

The team which will appear in the debate has not yet been chosen, but those who debate against Marquette will be included in a group of eight Council members who will debate 26 midwestern colleges and universities during spring recess, April 4 to April 11.

Among these debates are contests with the University of Iowa, Dennison College, Wayne University, Central Ohio State College, and Gustavus Adolphus College.