Group to Discuss Increasing Fields Of Foreign Study

The Committee on Educational Policy will consider the Student Council's new recommendations on foreign study for juniors at its meeting Wednesday, it was learned last night.

In its report, written by John W. Stokes '54, the Council urges the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to extend the junior year abroad program to nine fields not now included in the plan.

A second proposal asks authorization for the Committee on General Education to reduce the General Education requirements for students studying abroad. Under the present system, adopted in 1952, qualified sophomores may spend their junior year studying in "a foreign university as a member of a regularly organized study group."

The Council wants this plan expanded to include the Economics, English, Fine Arts, Government, History, History and Literature, Music, Philosophy, and Social Relations Departments.

In the report accompanying Stokes two recommendations, the Committee used the results of a poll, taken in January, to show that undergraduates in the College and at Radcliffe fully support the plan. In the poll, distributed to junior and senior honors candidates in seven of the nine fields, 180 students replied that they would have taken advantage of the opportunity to study in Europe.

Of the 114 undergraduates to answer the question negatively, many wanted to take advantage of the plan, but said they could not because of ROTC commitments, financial, and other difficulties.