Squash Team Tips Princeton, 5 to 4, To Collect Crown

By Peter G. Palches

A pair of champions tantalized the galleries with upsets before clinching their national intercollegiate squash titles at Hemenway on Saturday.

Individual champion Roger Campbell, Princeton's number one man, let the varsity's first man Larry Brownell gain a two game-to-one lead and an 8-2 advantage in the fourth, before turning on the brilliant display of speed, pressure, and accuracy which brought him the victory.

The Crimson collected the team championship, its second straight and third in four years, but only after Princeton had given the overconfident varsity legitimate cause for unrest. Ted Rose, sixth, and Paul Garrigue, seventh, were still playing late in the afternoon with the meet score standing 4 to 3, Crimson leading.

Rose Rallies

Garrigue was off his game and eventually lost his match. Rose lost his first game, 11-15. In the second he trailed 11-3, but rallied to win 18-14. Then he won the third, 15-10.

At the break after that game, Coach Jack Barnaby explained that the team was depending on his victory, and Rose went in again to dazzle his opponent, 15-7, clinch his match, the meet, and the team championship.

The other Crimson victories were decisive. Second man Hadden Tomes won 15-8, 15-5, 15-3. Bill Wister, fourth, won 15-4, 15-10, 15-5. Captain Mike Ward, fifth, won 15-9, 15-9, 18-17, and ninth man Rob Brown won 15-11, 15-9, 15-12.

Brownell, John Rauh, Paul Garrigue, and Guy Pachal all lost, 3 to 2.

The Brownell-Campbell match provided the best squash of the season at Hemenway. Campbell took the first game, 15-10. The gallery watched with amazement as the short, stocky champion displayed almost unbelievable accuracy in placing his corner shots out of reach.

In the second and third games and the early part of the fourth, Brownell drove. Campbell from wall to wall with his accurate low shots, mixed with occasional, drop and corner shots. Campbell was regularly hitting the tin. But when Brownell seemed to tire slightly Campbell began to confidently pick his shots out of the air before the bounce and to beat Brownell at his own back court game. The game scores were 15-10, 12-15, 12-15, 15-13, 15-11