Cambridge Police Threaten Arrest For Drivers Ignoring Parking Tags

Cambridge police threatened yesterday to arrest students who continue to disregard parking violation tags.

"It is obvious to us that tags have little effect on the students," police chief Patrick F. Ready said. "Summonses also appear of little consequence, or if they de too many are attended to at the gentleman's leisure. In the future we will be ready with warrants."

This latest threat is the climax of a policy instituted Feb. 23 under Captain Patrick J. McCarthy, head of the traffic bureau.

Within two days, Feb. 23 and 24, the department towed away 11 cars belonging to people who had ignored five or more tags. The department's campaign was publicized before hand to allow violators time to turn in overdue tags. A lack of response to this, however, convinced the chief that offenders were determined to ignore all warnings.

Since the start of McCarthy's drive, several policemen have been posted daily in the Square to watch for wanted autos.

Ready said traffic congestion increasing every year necessitates drastic measures before any major tragedy occurs. "Cars must no longer double park or park on both sides of the street, as we find them around Lowell and Kirkland Houses," he added. Cars hindering fire trucks constitute the main danger.

Police stations receive complaints from Cambridge citizens of students blocking their driveways or using their lawns for parking, the chief stated.