Dudley Out-Boxes Winthrop to Win House Title Again

Dudley won the inter-house boxing championship for the second straight year last night, edging a strong Winthrop team, 18 to 15. A surprisingly large crowd of over 1,000 spectators watched the finals, held in the Indoor Athletic Building.

Two Dragon defending champions, Dave Trachtenberg and Jim Walsh, retained their titles, with Trachtenberg beating G. R. Schien of Lowell in the 175-lb. class and Walsh topping Pete Coker of Adams in the 135-lb. division. In the lightweight final, Dudley's Jerry Bresnahan decisioned teammate Frank Corliss to give Dudley its 18 point total.

Winthrop House boxers also claimed three individual titles. Norm Wyner scored the most impressive victory of the evening by a TKO of Tony Murray of Leverett in the welterweight clash. In the 155-lb. match, Ray Daley won a decision from wild swinging Cisco Pisature of Kirkland, while Ed Carey won from Frank Ingoldsby of Dunster. The three victories gave Winthrop 15 points, three short of Dudley's winning total.

Third place in the scoring went to Adams House with eight points. Dick Koch won a decision over Pete Pratt of Leverett in the unlimited House match and his teammate Coker reached the finals in the 135-lb. class.

Leverett House with six points took fourth, as Kirkland, Dunster, and Leverett, each with three, tied for the cellar.

Lionel won the freshman title, edging Hollis by a scant two points, eight to six. All Lionel's scoring came in the 165-lb. match, as Gerry O'Connor defeated teammate Stan Freedman. Two Hollis boxers, Vin Aok and Ray Gallo, reached the finals, but each lost the decision. John Bower beat Aock in the 135-lb. class and John Todd decisioned Gallo in the 155-lb. match.

Five freshman halls, Apley, Stoughton, Straus North, Straus South, and Wigglesworth West tied for third with five points each. Dudley was a surprisingly last with three points.