HARVARD SQUARE DEAL: CON

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We feel obliged to express our gratitude to you for a true public service in carrying the advertisement "Harvard Square Deal" and to those Harvard Square merchants whose philanthropy is equalled only by their naivete in imagining that the Harvard student could fall for this deception.

Obviously, the merchants, contemplating the size of the University's financial aid program, feel somehow compelled to contribute their small part to easing the burden of the struggling student. Their generosity has taken the shape of a one dollar coupon book whose benefits are evaluated at $54.29.

Let us suppose the student were to conscientiously strive to maximize his own interest and spend every coupon in the book. If he were thrifty this would cost him no more than $300. However, no sensible person would be content with saving $7.50 on a grey flannel suit if by buying two of them he could save $15.

Just think--our very own pocket comb absolutely free! This magnanimous benefaction, unfortunately, appears to be the only offer which does not "involve a small purchase"--a $50 bicycle, for example.

Far from opposing enterprise and originality in business, we applaud the promotion agency who concocted this farce. If it works, it will be a tribute to American ingenuity. However, we object to the use of the House Dining Halls for the distribution of advertising leaflets, as we almost had indigestion today snickering over them. Stephen Lowey '55   Howard W. Barnes '55