Nine, Ten Face Brandeis, Middlebury Today

Powerful Lacrosse Team at Peak For Two Contests This Weekend

By Peter G. Palches

The early season injury victims of the varsity lacrosse team limped one-by-one back to practice this week. The Crimson, which meets Middlebury this afternoon at 2:30 and the Boston Lacrosse Club on Monday will be at nearly full strength for the contests.

It is definitely the strongest aggregation in four years and may well be as powerful as the 1951 New England Champion squad although Coach Bruce Munro has not yet committed himself.

This weekend's games should give a solid indication. Middlebury, although no pushover, will probably be no serious threat, and the B.L.C. has already dropped two practice games to the Crimson. Hence the games will be most interesting from the standpoint of the team's midfield performance,and if they live up to expectations, the team will be in contention for the title again.

Sophomore Albie Wells is the biggest question mark. Munro spotted him in the very early workouts and first planned to use him in the midfield. A knee injury, however, put him out two weeks before the Southern trip, He'll be playing with a brace.

Dexter Lewis, who did not play against any of the big teams in Dixie after spraining his ankle in the first game against Stevens, will see limited action. Jim Telfer, a veteran, plagued by a bad knee and stomach trouble thus, far, and Tim Anderson, who didn't make the trip will both be ready for play.

Third Line

Anderson, Wells, and Lewis will be a third line, with Fuzzy Stuart, filling in if Lewis' ankle is not quite ready. Telfer will work with Chuck Edwards and Skip Baldwin as a second unit. Todd Goodwin, Fred Horween, and Karl Bjork will start the game, though John Lane many have to take over if Bjork's weak ankle does not hold up. Munro will be watching them closely.

There is no doubt about what the defense and attack can do. Down South, Phil Waring, Monk Aiello, and Ed Curtis proved they could pour in goals against the nation's strongest defenses--except for Navy. Curtis surprised by tallying two more than Waring, last year's top scorer in the nation, and Aiello matched Curtis knack at setting them up. Lolli Coburn, Don Davidoff, John Lane, and John Taylor provided the reserve power lacking last year.

Will Be Tough Group

Fred Sharf is still out with a separated shoulder, but Pat Esmiol is back with the team, supporting the three iron men who played the last four spring trip games without substitution. The scores run up in these games by Maryland, Navy, and Virginia came for the most part when Tom Crump, John Hartwell, or Paul Jones were just so fatigued that their fresh opponents could pick up that one extra step. With a week's rest and a substitute, they will be a tough group to penetrate.