Broadcast Ban

The University has never smiled on the mediums of popular entertainment. Throughout its history, the Corporation treated theatricals as the blacksheep of extracurricular activities. And with the growth of commercial broadcasts, the Administration's disdain entered this field with the rule that: "No organization shall be allowed to appear on a commercially sponsored radio or TV program." While theatrical stock has risen this year, the ban on radio and television continues.

This ban again came into prominence when the Boston Symphony Orchestra signed up with NBC. Because of the Orchestra's new status the Glee Club's joint concerts run afoul of the University ruling. But in view of the mutual advantages of the concerts, Dean Watson has indicated that the Administration may waive the regulation in this case.

This would not be the first time the blanket prohibition has worn through. For example, two years ago, the Band appeared on television for a charity drive, while the same year, the Rugby Club was denied permission to play at a benefit for Cerebral Palsy. The Band and football team have consistently been heard on Atlantic Oil sportcasts. This random selection of clubs and sponsors leaves the rule arbitrary at best. Only by giving all groups automatic permission, can the University avoid appearing to discriminate between them.

The prohibition was originally passed as part of the Good Name Policy, designed to keep Harvard away from soap advertisements. Its aim was to keep sponsors from using the Good Name to imply endorsement of their product. But why anyone might confuse a student group's appearance on a program with official backing of the sponsor is hard to see. Surely football broadcasts do not suggest a University preference for Atlantic White Flash. In fact, only by refusing group participation on one program and allowing it on another, as is now done, is any endorsement whatsoever implied. In abolishing this selection, the University might demand that sponsors read a statement denying any official endorsement of their products.

Another aim of the rule is to keep irresponsible groups, which might reflect badly on the University, from appearing before large audiences. But, carried to the extreme, the prohibition is hardly airtight. Any student may appear on radio or television as a person. Even a large group, accidentally comprising the full membership of some organization, could theoretically appear on any show. Moreover, the blanket rule, in following the Administration's no-favorites policy, also sidelines groups which would add credit to the University.

By abolishing the restriction on commercial performances, the Administration could grant a valuable outlet for student organizations. Many groups, such as the Glee Club, rate commercial backing regardless of their Harvard name, and all, receiving similar invitations, should have the same freedom.