Conant Plans To Visit Here In Two Weeks

President Emeritus to Stop At University After Hearing

James B. Conant '14, former president of the University, will return to Cambridge within the next two weeks, Dean Bundy said yesterday. Exactly when he will arrive and how long he will stay is not yet known.

Now U.S. High Commissioner for West Germany, Conant came back to this country last Sunday and is now in Washington, where he will presumably testify in the hearings concerning J. Robert Oppenheimer '26. The two worked together on the development of the atomic bomb. Oppenheimer has been suspended by the Atomic Energy Commission and is under investigation as a security risk.

Conant last visited the University for Commencement in June. He resigned the presidency here on Jan. 12, 1953 to accept his appointment by President Eisenhower to the West Germany post, but he returned for the graduation of his last senior class.

From 1941 to 1946 Conant was chairman of the National Defense Research Committee. He was a member of the general advisory committee to the AEC from 1947 to 1952.

Oppenheimer was chairman of this group during that same period and for one additional year. From 1943 to 1945 he directed the laboratory at Los Alamos, N. Mex., that perfected the atomic bomb.