Five Crimson Errors Help Brown Score 7-3 Triumph

By William C. Sigal

Fielding lapses by the left side of the infield cost the varsity baseball team a chance to post its third Eastern League win, as the Crimson lost to Brown, 7 to 3, yesterday at Soldiers Field. The nine's league record now stands at two wins and four losses.

Equally as important as the lack of good fielding was the inability of the hitters to muster a sustained offense against three Bruin hurlers, despite a total of 11 bases on balls, seven hits, and a Brown error.

Bob Cooke, Crimson starter, allowed only six hits and three walks during the seven innings in which he worked. With better support, he might have won.

The Bruins opened scoring when they tallied single runs in the third and the fourth innings. Their first came on a walk and a double by shortstop Bob Popp. The other was the result of a lead-off triple by centerfielder Vince Jazwiuski and a single by pitcher Harry Josephson, batting fifth in the Brown lineup.

Brown added two more in the fifth on a hit, a walk, a throwing error by short-stop Art Noyes, and a sacrifice fly.

Brown upped its lead in the seventh, on an error by third baseman Ray Macsaka, a sacrifice, and an error by shortstop Bill Cleary, who had moved over from second at the beginning of the inning.

Two more runs in the next frame completed Brown scoring. These were the result of a single, two more errors by Maesaka, and a fielder's choice.

In the bottom of that inning the Crimson finally scored. A leadoff double, one of three hits by rightfielder Don Butters, a walk, and a run producing single by catcher George MacDonald to bring in Frank Rego to relieve starter Josephson. Although Rego forced in a run with a walk, he got out of the inning without further scoring.