Houses to Accept 65% of Freshman First Preferences

House admission notices, to be sent out Saturday, will place 65 percent of the freshman class in the House of their first choice, Dean Watson announced last night. Ninety percent will get into a first-, second-, or third-choice House, he added.

Ten percent will have to go to other Houses because College officials try to distribute students to obtain a representative cross-section in each House.

Despite the presence of 133 more applicants than House space presently permits. Watson expressed confidence that all students would be placed in a House.

Vacancies from Attrition

"Last year there were 92 more men than we had room for, but normal attrition opened enough vacancies to take care of them all," Watson explained. He attributed the larger demand for space this year to an increased number of returning students and commuters wanting to live in Houses rather than at home.

Watson called the increased demand for rooms by students who would otherwise be commuters "a very good thing. We always like to bring in as many commuters as possible and make them more a part of the College."

Claverly Full

He said that although College admissions were increasing, the proportion of commuters has gone down as more and more would-be non-residents move into Houses. Last year, 24 first-year commuters moved into Houses, this year the number was 56, and next year it will go up to 80. As a result, non-residents, who made up 22 percent of the College before the war, comprise only ten percent now.

Because of the ever-present overcrowding, Claverly will again be filled to its capacity of 131 men. Other spaces may be obtained by placing an extra man in some rooms.